Lejre, Pickled Turnips (Kale) from An Early Meal by Serra & Tunberg ©2013 ISBN 978-91-981056-0-5 pg.76
- 1KG Turnips (kale leaves, whole)
- 150g wild leeks
- ¾ TBSP salt
- 5dl soured milk, or natural yoghurt (should produce about 2 ½ dl of whey)
- Strain the milk through a cheese cloth. (Reserve the whey). Let stand for at least 4 hours.
- Clean and cut vegetables and leeks
- Make layers of vegetables, leeks and salt. Press tightly!
- Pour 1 ½ to 2dl of whey over it.
- Put a pickling weight on top.
- Check after an hour to make sure that the vegetable are releasing their juices. If not, add weak brine (1 pinch salt/dl water).
- Leave at room temperature for a week.
- After four days they should have a sharp smell.
- After a week the vegetables should be stored somewhere colder for another 2 weeks.
- Pour both vegetables and brine into a clean jar with an airtight lid. This should keep for 4 weeks if kept cool.
This is the same process as the brined apples that we did for the Slavic Feast and the kraut from the German feast.
Page created and published 9/16/21 (C)M. Bartlett (Some parts otherwise copyright)
Last updated 9/17/21