We missed a month because your scribe was up to her eyeballs in summer tourists! We’ve still got at least a month of them, too, but I’ve gotten far enough ahead to at least get this out.
…and the news about Dublin came through the morning after the most recent potluck. We’re setting up info on our In Memoriam page and there is stuff in last week’s and this weeks reports.
Susanne and Anja got to AnTir/West for one day so that Anja could teach her blackwork classes. They picked up the debris from the Queen’s Tea foods that the House provided before they left. They also managed to hand off Gudrun’s box to the A&S person from Wyewood. (photos in 7/7)
Anja also got to the Lane County Fair demo and stayed with Alys and had a great time! There are some good photos in the 7/28 report.
Herbs – re-potting and starts happened in early July. Tending and harvest and watering has taken a lot of time with the other herbs. We added mustard greens and tomatoes to the herbs that we had earlier, and started harvesting a lot of lettuce. We put a new lemon balm in the window since snails *ate* the other, right down to the ground. Progress has happened on clearing the drying racks preparing for harvest. Our little alder tree has been adopted and left for a new home. We acquired a new grinder, so started in on various incense techniques after processing onionskins for dye.
Embroidery and Sewing – A sewing kit went out as part of a gift exchange. Also finished a bib, the birth sampler, several snip sheathes, a bath set, a set of chicken-scratch (totally not period!) and lots of small pincushions/bobs. We also have some donations for our students from Antonia of various fabrics and a scroll frame.
Sundials and such – A lot of tool-cleaning got done back in early July and then Loren started in on a batch of antler blanks for runes and buttons and such, mostly sanding. He also worked on a bone needle, a myrtlewood bowl, and cleaned a batch of beeswax, which has been put by to age for a year.
Cookery has all been pointed at feast things although we sent a batch of foods to the Queen’s Tea at AnTir/West. We’ve done several cheeses of the scalded milk and tvarog varieties for eating, a couple of which got wrapped in fig leaves to help keep them. We set up several jars of sugar-preserving for straw, rasp and blueberries. The latter two are experiements, as was the dried melon. A batch of mushroom catsup got made and then the spice from the dried stuff.
We had two really good potlucks and tried several of the foods that we’ll use in the Winter Feast including the schnitzel and a couple of tarts. One of the other things was a sauerkraut that got made at the July potluck and then tasted after fermenting for 10 days and fridged at the August potluck. It’s good! We have a set of burpers to do it in, so started another batch this week. We also discovered that spaetzle is best formed in a potato ricer.
There’s more…. coins, rommelpots, Gudrun in Wyewood, Classes through the Honorable Clover Homes-sic, a batch of ink ingredientsfor Arlys… …and as always there were lots of pictures and links to play with, and music, and funnies, a few stories about the SCA, even a few weirdies.
Next month Anja is doing the Shrewsbury demo and we have another potluck…
This month (these are standard meeting times)
- Herb Bunch – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 11am-1pm
- Sewing Time – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 3-5pm
- Project Day – At Ancient Light, Sundays, Noon to 6pm
- Cheese and Wine is an occasional meeting. Watch our Facebook group for notices!
- Potluck is usually 3rd Sunday of the month. In garb (if you can) and bring a dish to share! Next on 9/15, 10/20, 11/17, 12/15
- Winter Feast Date is 2/16/20 Theme is German Renaissance
- Activities through 6-23-19 – https://wp.me/p8ngGY-2o3
- Activities through 6-30-19 – https://wp.me/p8ngGY-2qE
- Activities through 7-7-19 AWW – https://wp.me/p8ngGY-2ro
- Activities through 7-14-19 – https://wp.me/p8ngGY-2rD
- Activities through 7-21-19 Potluck and Coronation – https://wp.me/p8ngGY-2sb
- Activities through 7-28-19 Lane County Fair Demo – https://wp.me/p8ngGY-2tR
- Activities through 8-4-19 – https://wp.me/p8ngGY-2uC
- Activities through 8-11-19 – https://wp.me/p8ngGY-2xx
- Activities through 8-18-19 Potluck – https://wp.me/p8ngGY-2zj
…and this coming week’s (live by Monday, usually Activities through 8-25-19 – https://wp.me/p8ngGY-2zW
Here are the direct Portfolio links which have all the past Project Day reports and all the various projects, just whomp through pictures until what you see appeals to you, mouse-hover on the pic and then hit “view” when that shows.
- Original Blog (pre-7/19/15) here: https://housecapuchin.wordpress.com/portfolio/
- Our newer portfolio (7/20/15 – 2/6/17) is here: https://housecapuchin2.wordpress.com/portfolio/
- …and the newest (2/6/17 and newer) https://housecapuchin3.wordpress.com/portfolio
- We’ll be opening a #4 soon, as well! We’re running out of space in the old one.
…and to get to Ancient Light – https://www.google.com/maps/dir/”/firstname.lastname@example.org,-124.1371198,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x54c1c24bf1be429f:0x69542f3011d51d41!2m2!1d-124.06708!2d44.426685
In ministerio autem Somnium! – Anja Snihova’, graeca doctrina servus to House Capuchin.