Subsidiary gallery pages not all finished, yet….. One more….
Obviously this is only a prospective menu since the feast is virtual…
Noon – Side table set up with hot spiced cider, hot water for tea/coffee, etc. (pictures here – https://housecapuchin.com/nibbles-and-side-tables/
- Flat breads (birka) plus rye rolls and seed rolls
- Bread from Birka – https://housecapuchin.com/bread-from-birka/
- Butters – regular, roast garlic, herb and onion, and honey
- asst pickles and cheese (pickled beans mostly, in 4 flavors, pickled onions, pickled mushrooms)
1pm first hot dish
- Hot crab (15th century)
- Cacik (cucumbers with dill in sour cream)
2pm – Adding dishes of asst pickles (herring in wine, cucumber, asparagus, beet and egg) and cheeses including skyr.
- Skyr – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/foods-from-the-norse-viking-era/skyr/ We’ve purchased some [AEM recipe not tried, yet]
- Girdle cakes
3pm – Travelers porridge – Feast research talk –
4pm – Frumenty with greens & cheese Wheat Frumenty with Cheese – https://housecapuchin.com/wheat-frumenty-with-cheese/ Trial run, recipe, process pix, comments.
Main Dishes and Sides – https://wp.me/P8ngGY-5A9
5pm Main feast – 1st course
- Peas in a Bag – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/foods-from-the-norse-viking-era/peas-in-a-bag/ Trial run done and pictures up. 2nd trial with amended recipe done.
- Pickled Kale Lamb – https://housecapuchin.com/pickled-kale-lamb/ Trial run done and pictures up.
- Poached halibut – https://housecapuchin.com/poached-halibut/ [not tried, yet]
- Angelica Flavored Vegetarian Porridge – https://housecapuchin.com/angelica-flavored-vegetarian-porridge/ [not tried, yet]
Subtlety – The Longship – https://wp.me/P8ngGY-5nN Filling test needs tweaking.
Mint Tea/Lemon Water
5:30 2nd course
- Birka, Filled spit-roasted chicken – https://housecapuchin.com/filled-spit-roasted-chicken/ Adapted recipe, plus trial run. We’re also thinking to try a “chicken pieces” variation, since none of us have spits!
- Bread in a Bag – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/foods-from-the-norse-viking-era/bread-in-a-bag/ [not tried, yet]
- Wild Leaf Herb and Cheese Pottage – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/foods-from-the-norse-viking-era/wild-leaf-herb-and-cheese-pottage/ Adapted recipe with notes in place.
- Salmon on Turnip Stew – We didn’t try this one because it was so straightforward!
6pm 3rd course
- Roast Pork – https://wordpress.com/page/housecapuchin.com/21808
- Berry Sauce for Red Meat – https://housecapuchin.com/berry-sauce-for-red-meat/ Tried on 12/19.
- Pickled Kale/Turnips – https://housecapuchin.com/pickled-turnips/ We did this with the fridge pickle recipe. [AEM recipe not tried, yet]
- (Just the root veg) Cod with glazed roots – https://wp.me/P8ngGY-5nR Trial run done. The glazed roots were good, the fish awful! We planned to use *just* the root vegetables for the feast!
- Wheat Frumenty with Cheese – https://wp.me/P8ngGY-4XJ
6:30pm Last course
- Subtlety – Pretzel Swords – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/foods-from-the-norse-viking-era/pretzel-swords/
- Kaupang, Apple Frumenty – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/foods-from-the-norse-viking-era/kaupang-apple-frumenty/ Trial run done, recipe, process pix and comments up.
- Hazelnut Treats – https://housecapuchin.com/hazelnut-treats/ [not tried, yet]
- Malt Patties [not tried, yet]
- Traditional Cheese
- hand pies of various sorts – Depending on what is available these are made of leftovers from previously cooked dishes. They mostly end up being meat and cheese, veg and cheese, or fruit.
- Leftovers – These start being packaged in 2 TBSP cups (sauces) and 1 cup bags (soups, meats, sides, etc.) as soon as the dishes come back to the kitchen. Anyone who asked gets handed an assortment!
…and the leftovers soup!
Page created 1/31/22 and published 2/17/22 (C)M. Bartlett
Last updated 3/12/22