Lofoten, Angelica Flavored Vegetarian Porridge from An Early Meal by Serra & Tunberg ©2013 ISBN 978-91-981056-0-5. pg.46
- 75G salted butter – 1/3 cup
- 4dl crushed barley – 1.72 cups, 1 ¾ cups
- 4 dl of soured milk – 1 ¾ cups whey
- 6 dl of water or stock – 2.85 cups – 2 7/8 cups Pork broth from roast
- A bunch of ramsons or other leeks – leek
- Leaves or stalk of angelica (Angelica archangelica) if available, otherwise some other fragrant herb such as lovage or parsley root.
- Simmer the leek and angelica in generous amounts of butter (preferable in a soapstone vessel)
- Add the crushed barley and stir it into the butter.
- Add the whey or soured milk, stir it in and add enough water to cover.
- Let is simmer until the barley is soft, stir and add more water when necessary.
- Serve as a side dish to smoked fish, or on its own.
Notes – I have a whacking lot of lovage at the moment. I’m thinking to try this, but…. crushed barley? In a mortar and pestle or what?
Anja is working on this one this weekend.
Page created and published 9/16/21 (C)M. Bartlett (Some parts otherwise copyright)
Last updated 9/17/21