This is a WiP. To some extent it’s a dumping ground at the moment, and not organized. It’ll get better.
An interesting article – https://eatlikeaviking.co.uk/
Typing up some recipes with notes…I’ll post the links here. Ok, re-setting this to. “Tried and have our own recipe and process pix”, “Tried, pix”, “In Process”, “Not Tried, yet”.
Tried and have our own recipe and process pix
- Wild Leaf Herb and Cheese Pottage – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/foods-from-the-norse-viking-era/wild-leaf-herb-and-cheese-pottage/ Adapted recipe with notes in place.
- Pickled Kale Lamb – https://housecapuchin.com/pickled-kale-lamb/ Trial run done and pictures up.
- Pickled Kale/Turnips – https://housecapuchin.com/pickled-turnips/ We did this with the fridge pickle recipe. [AEM recipe not tried, yet]
- Birka, Filled spit-roasted chicken – https://housecapuchin.com/filled-spit-roasted-chicken/ Adapted recipe, plus trial run. We’re also thinking to try a “chicken pieces” variation, since none of us have spits!
- Berry Sauce for Red Meat – https://housecapuchin.com/berry-sauce-for-red-meat/ Tried on 12/19.
- Peas in a Bag – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/foods-from-the-norse-viking-era/peas-in-a-bag/ Trial run done and pictures up. 2nd trial with amended recipe done.
- Cod with glazed roots – https://wp.me/P8ngGY-5nR Trial run done. The glazed roots were good, the fish awful!
- The Longship – https://wp.me/P8ngGY-5nN Filling test needs tweaking.
- Kaupang, Apple Frumenty – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/foods-from-the-norse-viking-era/kaupang-apple-frumenty/ Trial run done, recipe, process pix and comments up.
Not Tried, yet
- Boar Stew – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/foods-from-the-norse-viking-era/boar-stew-from-an-early-meal/ [not tried, yet]
- Angelica Flavored Vegetarian Porridge – https://housecapuchin.com/angelica-flavored-vegetarian-porridge/ [not tried, yet]
- Bread from Birka – https://housecapuchin.com/bread-from-birka/ [not tried, yet]
- Wheat Frumenty with Cheese – https://housecapuchin.com/wheat-frumenty-with-cheese/ [not tried, yet]
- Bread in a Bag – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/foods-from-the-norse-viking-era/bread-in-a-bag/ [not tried, yet]
- Skyr – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/foods-from-the-norse-viking-era/skyr/ We’ve purchased some [AEM recipe not tried, yet]
- Poached halibut – https://housecapuchin.com/poached-halibut/ [not tried, yet]
- Hazelnut Treats – https://housecapuchin.com/hazelnut-treats/ [not tried, yet]
Possible but not typed up, yet.
- Salmon on Turnip Stew
- Traditional Cheese
- Malt Patties
Maybe, maybe not
- Alu Laker – Sauce for smoked meat
- Buttered Turnip
- Traveler’s Porridge
- Ryebread with smoked barley
- Goose Stew
- Turnips and
Not planning on, either because of alcohol, unavailable ingredients, equipment or “ick” factor.
- Norse Stockfish
- Cooking Pit Goat
- Royal Horse Broth
- Spit-roast heart
- Rose Hip Mead
- Kettle Worms
- Steamed Mussels with Fennel and Leek
- Oysters baked on Embers
- Simmered Mackerel
- Ember-baked Turnips
- Herring and Oats
- Calf’s Tongue
- Baked Marrow
Page created and published 8/29/21 (2021)M. Bartlett
Last updated 1/15/22