Hedeby, Berry Sauce for Red Meat from An Early Meal by Serra & Tunberg ©2013 ISBN 978-91-981056-0-5 pg.100
- 600g beef
- 125g wild leek or scallions
- 2tps ground or crushed brown mustard seeds
- 1TBSP drippings (if you roast the beef, otherwise some other fat)
- 250g plums
- 125g raspberries
- 125g blackberries
- 1dl mead
- 1tsp dried mint
- Fresh mint for garnish
- Boil or roast the beef.
- Chop the leek finely
- Melt drippings in a pot.
- Sauté the leek with the mustard seeds in the drippings.
- Core and chop plums
- Add all the fruits to the pot and let them boil until they are soft and mushy.
- Crush the fruits in the pot with a spoon.
- Press the fruits through a sparse woven cloth or strainer to extract as much juice as possible
- Pour the fuit juice back into the pot and reheat it.
- Slice the meat thin and put it in a serving dish.
- Pour the sauce over the meat and sprinkle with mint.
- Serve warm.
- I think this could be frozen, which means that it could be done a ways ahead.
- I think this would be good with a simple roast beef. i.e. just roasted with salt.
Page created and published 9/16/21 (C)M. Bartlett (Some parts otherwise copyright)
Last updated 9/16/21