This is a WiP. To some extent it’s a dumping ground at the moment, and not organized. It’ll get better.
Links to get the feel and general info
- Art Styles of the Vikings – https://lookviking.com/pages/art-styles-of-the-vikings
- Clothing in the Viking Age – The Viking Answer Lady – http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/clothing.shtml
- Viking art – From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_art
- Wadmal – From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadmal
- Shoes – https://www.deviantart.com/scargeear/art/SD-BJD-Viking-Mammen-shoes-471640855
- Florilegium page – http://www.florilegium.org/files/NORSE/idxNorse.html
- Another Florilegium page – http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/viking.html
- More shoes – https://www.deviantart.com/scargeear/art/SD-BJD-Viking-Hedeby-shoes-471640406
- The Wallet from Trelleborg, Denmark – https://sagy.vikingove.cz/en/the-wallet-from-trelleborg-denmark/?fbclid=IwAR33nDaQJvt8Im8YCEuHWzR2NnG_iGj36wUlX0A3UOo7vfeh_Ri90JGUydM
- Items from 10th Century Hedeby – https://www.academia.edu/41576289/Items_From_10th_Century_Hedeby_Haithabu_?auto=download&email_work_card=download-paper
- The aprondress from Køstrup (grave ACQ) – https://www.academia.edu/32636652/The_aprondress_from_K%C3%B8strup_grave_ACQ_?auto=download&email_work_card=download-paper
- The aprondress from Køstrup (grave ACQ) – https://www.academia.edu/32636652/The_aprondress_from_K%C3%B8strup_grave_ACQ_
- The Klappenrock: A Viking warrior’s Coat From 10th C Haithabu – https://www.academia.edu/32370239/The_Klappenrock_A_Viking_warriors_Coat_From_10th_C_Haithabu?auto=download&email_work_card=download-paper
- Womens Set of Viking Winter Clothes based on Haithabu and Birka textile finds – https://www.academia.edu/31139188/Womens_Set_of_Viking_Winter_Clothes_based_on_Haithabu_and_Birka_textile_finds?email_work_card=title
- The Woman Dressed in Blue, A textile find from a 10th c. Icelandic grave and its reconstruction. – https://www.academia.edu/30706919/The_Woman_Dressed_in_Blue
- “Tangled Up in Blue“: The Death, Dress and Identity of an Early Viking-Age Female Settler from Ketilsstaðir, Iceland – https://www.academia.edu/39630506/_Tangled_Up_in_Blue_The_Death_Dress_and_Identity_of_an_Early_Viking_Age_Female_Settler_from_Ketilssta%C3%B0ir_Iceland
- Viking Apron Panel with tablet woven Oseberg trim, and homespun yarn embroidery. – https://www.academia.edu/36424079/Viking_Apron_Panel_with_tablet_woven_Oseberg_trim_and_homespun_yarn_embroidery
- With a Pleated Front – a Possible Reconstruction of the Hangerock (selekjole) in Grave ACQ from Køstrup. In: Refashioning Viking Age Garments – https://www.academia.edu/27398803/With_a_Pleated_Front_a_Possible_Reconstruction_of_the_Hangerock_selekjole_in_Grave_ACQ_from_K%C3%B8strup_In_Refashioning_Viking_Age_Garments
- Norse Merchant Hat – A Hat Outside Of History – https://www.academia.edu/23738723/Norse_Merchant_Hat_A_Hat_Outside_Of_History
- The Vikings of Haithabu (8th -10th Century AD): Burials and Identity (Master’s thesis 2018) – https://www.academia.edu/36892711/The_Vikings_of_Haithabu_8th_10th_Century_AD_Burials_and_Identity_Masters_thesis_2018_
- A Norse Greenlandic Woman 1000-1500. How I recreated my costume – https://www.academia.edu/35051133/A_Norse_Greenlandic_Woman_1000_1500_How_I_recreated_my_costume_docx
- Dressed for Ritual, Dressed for Life. A Migration-Period Grave from Sande in Norway – https://www.academia.edu/36896628/Dressed_for_Ritual_Dressed_for_Life_A_Migration_Period_Grave_from_Sande_in_Norway
- Susan Möller-Wiering and Lise Ræder Knudsen: The Vehnemoor Cloak and its Colleagues: A Unique Find in Relation to its Parallels In: Johanna Banck-Burgess and Carla Nübold, NESAT XI, The North European Symposium for Archaeological Textiles XI. Leidorf 2013. 161-166. – https://www.academia.edu/8909462/Susan_M%C3%B6ller_Wiering_and_Lise_R%C3%A6der_Knudsen_The_Vehnemoor_Cloak_and_its_Colleagues_A_Unique_Find_in_Relation_to_its_Parallels_In_Johanna_Banck_Burgess_and_Carla_N%C3%BCbold_NESAT_XI_The_North_European_Symposium_for_Archaeological_Textiles_XI_Leidorf_2013_161_166
- ‘í litklæðum’ – Coloured Clothes in Medieval Scandinavian Literature and Archaeology – https://www.academia.edu/333994/_%C3%AD_litkl%C3%A6%C3%B0um_Coloured_Clothes_in_Medieval_Scandinavian_Literature_and_Archaeology
- FROM FLAX TO LINEN – Experiments with flax at Ribe Viking Centre – https://www.academia.edu/2474137/From_flax_to_linen
Viking Age head-coverings – https://ciarsstitchintime.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/viking-age-head-coverings/
Rectangular Construction by Leora the Red – Barony of Terra Pomaria – Leora the Red teaches “Rectangular Construction”. Learn this great tool for making and designing dresses, tunics, and coats. With measurements and a little imagination you will soon we making amazing clothing for your next event!
An excellent cutting layout for a woman’s undertunic! Process pix and instructions can be found at http://maidenanachronism.blogspot.com/2012/05/viking-underdress.html
Feet! 10th c Jorvik Shoes: How to Look Good From the Ankle Down – Elewys of Finchingefeld – Make a simple pair of turn shoes on a limited budget! I guess I didn’t mention it, but I think I spent less than $25 for all the stuff I need for these shoes; this included my share of a $40 piece of leather, a couple of tools, and some thread.
From making the pattern, sewing, and dyeing the leather, I walk you through my process of making my first pair of medieval shoes, dating from the 10th century, York, England. It was found in the Coppergate excavation. Many thanks to my shoe instructor, HL Athelyna of Oldenfeld, and my foot supermodel, HL Aenor de Pessac.
Isle of Man Viking brooches go on display for first time – https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-59703390
And some embroidery documentation! – https://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikembroid.html?fbclid=IwAR3mAhepHr1zkOpcNrXMOmQ6SxJGF2g2ibP7tXp2TCUjQimDjYZx-Mypc78
PDF’s – We’re not sure what the attribution is on these! Please don’t violate their copyright. SCA use only, non-commercial, educational…..
Page created and published 8/29/21 (2021)M. Bartlett
Last updated 6/3/22