Schedules are going back to normal this week.
- Sewing Night – At Ancient Light, Thursdays, 6-8pm
- Herb Bunch – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 11am-1pm
- Sewing Time – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 3-5pm
- Project Day – At Ancient Light, Sundays, Noon to 6pm
- Cookery – Watch the schedule or the Facebook group! This is going to be irregularly scheduled for when tasks need to occur.
- Next Potluck – 11/19
Here is the direct Portfolio link which has all the past Project Day reports and various projects, original here: https://housecapuchin.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and new one here: https://housecapuchin2.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and number three is here: https://housecapuchin3.wordpress.com/portfolio/
We’re still working on the insurance which is proving to be a pain in the tukas…. Some sewing happened. Some lucet cords happened. Some woodcarving happened. We ended up talking to two ladies during the evening of Anja and Loren’s event at their shop about the SCA and what it’s about, too. 🙂
10/13 – Anja used her recipe for lentil pottage to make a dish for the evening meal at their shop event and also served some of the pickled cabbage! Apples for pie filling happened on 10/17.
Herbs – The harvest season is winding down and the last cuttings are being made. One of the box gardens has sprung a leak, leaking dirt and plants, so that’s going to have to get fixed. With the “interesting weather” moving in during the week we ended up moving the rather delicate tomatillo plants indoors.
Several plants are being potted up for use over the winter, too.
A lot of greens were harvested for the potluck frytours, but didn’t get used, because of a time crunch. Those will get used early in this week.
Amergins’ Relief – Anja’s take
I had a fun day! We were up *way* early for us and at the shop by 7:30. I got dressed in my garb and had coffee and before I was done Amy got here, we loaded the car and headed out. We had a smooth drive to Veneta, although the directions were awful. Google maps’ fault! We got to the site in time for lunch and I got to talk to friends and work on my embroidery all afternoon!
I watched a Master class with Duke Paul Bellatrix for the martial arts style and one on fletching arrows with Tryggr, then took a class in event prep before they started setting up for supper.
During the day I got a long chance to sit and food geek at Yseult and to chat with Vesta, Christina, Temperance and a few other people. My brother Iurii was sitting gate, so we didn’t have a lot of time together. Both lunch and supper were tasty, although we headed home before Court started.
That was a good thing. The rain and wind had really picked up and after taking a wrong turn we got mugged by a ditch. After we got out of that, we took the longer route up I-5 to 20. There were 5 trees down, that we could see in the darkness, on or in the road. We, along with many others, had run over the one, about a 4 inch alder, that was pretty beaten up by the time it was our speedbump. The roads were completely covered in spots with leaves, needles and branch bits that had been torn off the trees, and once we were past the crest of the Coast Range you could see very little else but leaf litter on the shoulders, even in spots where the roadway had cleared. Oddly 101 was clear. Maybe a lot of ours came down in that last storm?
We pulled in at 1 bit after 11pm, both very tired, and my basket stuff was
scattered across the back of Amy’s car, from being tilted into the ditch. I had run for the bathroom, so Tempus got that brought in and Amy headed home, getting there safely in a few minutes. We told the folks from the event that we were back, then put ourselves together, headed home, got a snack and crashed.
Potluck 10/22 – (no pix? how’d we do *that*!)
Anja set up a beef in wine crockpot on Friday that was fridged until cooked overnight on Saturday. It was blearily flipped at 5am. It cooled in the fridge preparatory to being separated, with the beef sliced and the broth being further prepped into gravy. Apple pies got made and set aside to cool.
We didn’t have as many of the utensils ready as we thought, so things kept running later and later. Sasha and Josh showed up around 2pm and helped. We prepped the herbs for the frytours and Sasha prepped the onions for the pies while Anja did the crusts. Jay showed up at 3pm and Loryea just after, and Amy finally near four. We started on Loryea’s souffle almost right as she walked in, since it wasn’t going to keep. (recipe below). Everyone went out front to chat while Anja finished up the onion pies and gravy and then we feasted! Folks kept going back for 2nds and thirds and more!
We presented Jay, as the newest fighter, with the Taliesin Shield. Anja was gifted with this shield back when there was a chance she still was going to be able to fight and was collecting armor and weaponry. It was gifted with the intent that the arms on it (Taliesin’s own) could be used in his honor and that when it was passed on (or if it
disintegrated, to pass on a similar piece) it would go out with the same intent. Jay is going to have his brother re-paint it, so it will look good again.
We talked a lot over the meal, mostly stories of the SCA and history, but no one even breathed on a project!
- Souffle – Loryea
- Peach/Ginger crumble with buckwheat
- Grapes – Jay
- Sliced white cheddar Cheese – Jay
- Breads – Amy (Hawaiian Rolls and Rosemary sourdough)
- Butter – Loren
- Beef in wine – Loren and Anja
- Pickled Cabbage – from before
- Pickled Onions – from before
- Pickled Beets – Jeanne
- Olives – Loren
- Onion pies and gravy from the beef/wine broth
Planned, but didn’t happen.
- Herb frytours – Herb Bunch and Anja
- Laganum – Anja
- Lentil Pottage – From before
- 7 ggs
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 lg. onion finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp sweet rice flour
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Saute onion in butter at low heat until well browned.
- Add carrots and salt
- Cook until soft.
- Turn off burner.
- Separate eggs.
- Beat egg white with cream of tartar until firm peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks until lemon colored, add carrot mixture and rice flour.
- Fold together, carefully.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes in greased quiche dish.
15th Century clothing, etc.
- Allegory of March – Triumph of Minerva – 15th c https://www.wga.hu/html_m/c/cossa/schifano/1march/1march.html
- Allegory of April – Triumph of Venus – https://www.wga.hu/html_m/c/cossa/schifano/2april/index.html
- Allegories of June through September – https://www.wga.hu/html_m/t/tura/schifano/index.html
Anja, Loren, Amy, Stella, Sasha, Gogor(V), Loryea, Jay, Josh, Clare and friend (stopped for a visit!)
Largesse Item Count – (includes gifts, prizes, auction items, etc.)
- ASXLVII = 24
- ASXLVIII = 88
- ASXLIX = 794
- ASL = 2138
- ASLI = 731
- ASLII = 163+14 plus 4 pouch, 25 pouches for block-printing, 35 (plus 26 unfinished) pincushions, 7 emery bags, 10 lucet cord, 1 hat, 1 bone needle & case, 2 sewing boxes (finished except for bone needles), 1 sewing box (in process), varnished stuff (124)
Total as a Household = 3536 handed off
In ministerio autem Somnium! Anja, graeca doctrina servus to House Capuchin
Page Created 10/8/17 & published ??/??/17 (C)M. Bartlett
Last updated 11/13/17