We’re concentrating on food at the moment, trying to get recipes tried and some edibles made for our Winter Feast. The holiday disrupted things this past week, but there will be more with the December holidays.
One of the House members, Gudrun, is having to move to Washington for work. She’ll be in Wyewood. Anja is going to the Tri-Baronial Yule this weekend to spend time with her Laurel and to attend Marya’s vigil and Elevation. We didn’t get any takers on helping with gifts, so it’s just Anja & Loren’s that are going to her. There’s a batch of largesse that’s supposed to go to the Summits, that she’ll have with her.
- Herb Bunch – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 11am-1pm (not this week)
Sewing Time – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 3-5pm (not this week)
- Project Day – At Ancient Light, Sundays, Noon to 6pm
- Next Potluck – – 12/16, 1/20 (no Feb potluck)
- Winter Feast Date is 2/17/19
Here is the direct Portfolio link which has all the past Project Day reports and various projects, original here: https://housecapuchin.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and new one here: https://housecapuchin2.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and number three is here: https://housecapuchin3.wordpress.com/portfolio/
Early Week – Started with the usual cleanup. On Tuesday Anja tried the mushroom tarts. On Wednesday we tried the sugar-preserved strawberries. (In Cookery…) On Thursday potluck leftovers and some of the trial dishes got eaten. We’ve got a start on the pickles for various purposes.
Mushroom Tarts – The first batch fell apart and were too “cloved”. Also the brie stuck up in big lumps, which wasn’t at all attractive. There was speculation about using egg to hold the pies together, which is *not* in the period recipe, but has some attraction.
The 2nd batch (no pix) baked better on the sides, so they held together better and the brie got sliced thinner. We discovered that the amount of clove was perfect if the mushrooms were spiced and then left to sit at least overnight. We may still try the egg…
Cameline Sauce – We started where the first batch left off.
So that’s where that batch burned. Anja redid the sauce right up to that point and tried again. This time it worked, although it was really strongly sour and very much too thick. …and we realized that the sugar hadn’t been added… Hmmm….
Quoting from 7/1/18 – Cookery – Strawberries – On Saturday, as part of herbs, we prepped most of a 2 pound box of strawberries. The best got eaten. The least ripe went into a strawberry pickle and the most ripe and bits went into a sugar preserve and the 5 left over got frozen for breakfast. Now, we don’t have a clue how period these methods are… at least for strawberries. All the strawberries were cleaned, sliced and packed at the same time, then the pickling brine got done and added.
So, first the sugar preserve… the method is from Townsends. – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNTpZkiiqUs
- Take your container (1 pt canning jar) and put a layer of sugar on the bottom.
- Make a layer of strawberry slices and pieces.
- Cover with sugar.
- Tap down by tapping the jar on the table and add more only if necessary.
- Alternate until the jar is full, ending with a layer of sugar.
- Keep in the fridge until the sugar has turned into syrup and the strawberries are partially dehydrated, then eat. About a month for them to “finish”.
So on Wednesday we pulled the jar and separated the strawberries from the syrup. We tried a few. Mine were delicious and having strawberries in November is lovely! Loren said that the consistency of his was, “like a gummy bear, but yummy!”
On the trial dishes….
Sauce Bob – “Yum!”
Cameline Sauce – “That’s different. Not sure about this one.” after adding the sugar and reheating. “What are you putting it on? I think it’d be good on chicken.”
Sugar-Preserved strawberries – “It eats like a gummy candy, but it’s *really* good!”
Tallivent Pork and sauce – “Omgs, Mom, this is *so* good! Tender, with a lot of flavor!”
Sewing – Anja’s working on her surcote where the shoulders got messed up. It’s all hand-sewing.
Herb Bunch – Worked on period herbals and how to identify dried herbs.
Project Day – Loren worked on sanding his cup and Anja on the bookmarkers again. The guy from Caid stopped by and we talked for awhile. He was hoping to go to Investiture but he’s heading home sooner than expected.
Tudor and Renaissance Music vol.3 (1450-1600) Music from the European Renaissance and the Tudor court – Rachel Boyd
- Germany – The Renaissance Music Players
- Branle de la Guerre – Jeremy Barlow & The Broadside Band
- My Lady Carey’s Dompe – Eduardo Paniagua Mille Regrez – Josquin de Prez
- Greensleeves – Sharon Lindo & Matthew Spring
- If Ye Love Me – Rutter, John
- Gervaise: Branle Simple 22 – Jordi Savall
- Gervaise: Branle De Bourgoigne 23 – Jordi Savall
- Gervaise: Branle De Bourgoigne 17 (Gervaise) – Jordi Savall
- Danza de los Moros – Conjunto Pro Musica de Rosario
- Dansereye: Vier Branlen/Fagott/Schafertanz Ohne Fels/Nachtanz – Cristian Hernandez
- Larguia & Conjunto Pro Musica De Rosario
- Hoboekendans (Cromwell at York Place) – Claire Van Kampen
- Bassadansa (The Feast at Calais) – Claire Van Kampen
- Ce Qui Souloit (Court Masque) – Claire Van Kampen
- Chiaranzana (Anne’s Last Supper) – Claire Van Kampen
- Quanto Sia Lieto il Giorno – Philippe Verdelot
- English Dances Of The Middle Ages – Group Of Antique Instuments Diabolus
- Queen Elizabeth Her Galliard – Various Artists
- Helas Madame – Henry VIII
- Quand Je Bois Du Vin Clairet (Tourdion) (Anónimo) –
- La Capella Reial De Catalunya, Hespèrion XXI, Jordi Savall
Original Recipe – Menagier de Paris, p.185 / section 160 (found in Early French Cookery by Scully (page 96-7))
Champignons d’une nuyt sont les meilleurs, et sont petits et vermeils dedans, clos dessus: et les convient peler, puis laver en eaue chaude et pourboulir; qui en veult mettre en pasté, si y mette de l’uille, du frommage et de la pouldre.
Item, mettez le entre deux plats sur charbons, et mettez un petit de sel, du frommage et de la pouldre. L’en les treuve en la fin de may et en juin.
Translation – This was translated from the French edition of Jerome Pichon published in 1846 by Janet Hinson
MUSHROOMS of one night are the best, and are small and red inside, closed above: and they should be peeled, then washed in hot water and parboiled; if you wish to put them in pastry, add oil, cheese and powdered spices.
Item, put them between two dishes over the coals, and add a little salt, cheese and powdered spices. You can find them at the end of May and in June.
- Purchased pie crust
- 8 oz can sliced mushrooms
- Pinch ginger (3)
- Sprinkle clove (.5)
- Dash cinnamon (2)
- Sprinkle salt (1)
- Small brie (about 1/2 oz per tart)
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan (real stuff, not the green can)
- Pie maker
- Mix mushroom, spices
- Slice brie
- Cut shells
- Bake in pie maker for 4 minutes (needs more)
- Layer of mushroom, slice brie, fill, top with parmesan.
- Bake 6 minutes (needs more)
- Dyeing with avocado peels? – Dyeing with avocado peels?
- A Map Of Where Your Food Originated May Surprise You – A Map Of Where Your Food Originated May Surprise You
- Researcher Sheds New Light On The Origin Of Sewing Technologies – https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2018/11/researcher-sheds-new-light-on-origin-of.html#lv8vH2QM7srHwvpt.99
- A Bronze Age tomb in Israel reveals the earliest known use of vanilla – https://www.sciencenews.org/article/bronze-age-tomb-israel-reveals-earliest-known-use-vanilla
- Bread in the 15th-century – http://www.medievalists.net/2017/11/medieval-manuscripts-bread-15th-century/
- The Last Velvet Merchant – http://www.bbc.com/travel/gallery/20181113-the-last-velvet-merchant-of-venice
- Ove Plene: Savory Stuffed Eggs – https://tastehistorytoday.com/2018/11/09/ove-plene-savory-stuffed-eggs/
Anja, Amor (V), Loren, Gudrun, Sasha,
Largesse Item Count – (includes gifts, prizes, auction items, etc.)
- ASXLVII = 24
- ASXLVIII = 88
- ASXLIX = 794
- ASL = 2138
- ASLI = 731
- ASLII = 304
- ASLIII – 82 plus 25 pouches for block-printing, 8 bookmarkers, 25 bottles of gall ink, 25 unfinished pincushions, 1 sewing kit (except for bone needle), varnished stuff (124)
- Total as a Household = 3766 handed off
In ministerio autem Somnium! Anja, graeca doctrina servus to House Capuchin
Page Created 11/20/18 (C)M. Bartlett
Last updated 11/27/18