While most of our reports cover only one week at a time, this time it’s two, since your scribe was north of the Barony of Madrone to assist at the lying-in of her and Loren’s oldest son’s wife. Arthur and Raven, mundanely, live in Everett, WA. Baby Sioned was born on Saturday 3/2.
The cookbook got published on Thursday 2/28. You can find it here: Cookbook ASLIII – https://wp.me/P8ngGY-23b There are a few pieces to polish up, but this is the basic set of recipes from our Winter Feast.
There are more photos that will be added to this report, but it’s already late Monday Night!
Before and after Anja’s trip, various things went on, mostly embroidery and eating up leftovers, but various pickles are starting to happen.
This coming week, meetings will be on time. 3/17 is the next Potluck which happens at the end of Project Day (5pm) and goes on until we quit.
- Herb Bunch – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 11am-1pm
- Sewing Time – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 3-5pm
- Project Day – At Ancient Light, Sundays, Noon to 6pm
- Next Potluck – (no Feb potluck), 3/17, 4/21, 5/19, 6/16
- Winter Feast Date is 2/17/19
Here is the direct Portfolio link which has all the past Project Day reports and various projects, original here: https://housecapuchin.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and new one here: https://housecapuchin2.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and number three is here: https://housecapuchin3.wordpress.com/portfolio/
Early Week (2/25-28) – More sorting and washing and putting away happened. Various containers are getting emptied as they get eaten or prepared into other dishes.
Cookery (2/25-3/3) – Was all using up leftovers….. The Tallivent pork sauce landed on chops on Monday and a couple of servings of the leftovers stew (complete with glitter) were supper on Wednesday. Several bottles of the spices mixes went out as Thank You Gifts on Thursday 2/28 and more on 3/4.
Herb Bunch – (Not held on 3/2)
Project Day (Not held on 3/3)
Sewing 2/29-3/10 – Lots of it, but all mundane except for this….. Horrible pix, the first two, but it’s what I got….bad lighting and no tripod and in a hurry. …then on Saturday I spent an hour or to on it and again on Sunday.
Sundials, etc. – Loren is finally getting as far as drilling peach pits (for tiny basket pendants) copper tubes (for amulet jewelry) and a couple of pin-holder boxes. Anja had to go back to mark the boxes since that hadn’t been done when we started that project.
Cookery (3/7-10) – The purple mustard sauce went onto a mondo pork chop on 3/9 and it turned out to be delicious, even if the purple color went away as it cooked. (It ended up “pork chop colored”. 🙂 Some of the leftovers stew got served to people who showed up on Project Day. Pickled eggs happened.
Herb Bunch (3/9) – We started with grinding rosemary for the spice shelf and stripping more, then went on to the Infusions/Decoctions/Tinctures class, then worked on some mortar and pestle techniques, making eggshell fertilizer. Most of the things accomplished included either rosemary or cedar.
Project Day (3/10) – Anja worked on recipes for awhile. The Chicken/Leek/Mushroom handpie recipe is ready to test. The dough and the filling were tested separately last year, but the amounts need to be tweaked for the recipe, she thinks.
Some embroidery happened and discussion of bone and wood needles. We found some dried rosemary wood that will work for fids and possibly needles. We also cut up the rest of the big fig branch that we were gifted with last month. It’s too dried out to use for cheese, now, so it’s going to be properly stored for curing to become spoons and such. Anja is actually contemplating a couple of cheese stirring paddles from it.
We also spent some time sorting other wood pieces, tossing those to split up to use and barking a couple.
Leticia Troischesnes commented, “instead of bean flour, I would try cooked or canned beans and use less water than the recipe calls for.”
So I wrote, “We’ve had some decent luck with similar breads made of pea flour. (seen in some previous reports) We made our own by throwing split peas into the food processor (use the hearing protectors!) Similar, because we’re not using eggs or milk and baking, rather than frying. We’ve experimented with various “flour stretchers” and determined that about 1/2 of the pea, rye, bean, oat flours and 1/2 regular flour makes a pretty decent bread. These resemble the Roman flatbreads.”
“I also tried making bean flour from canned garbanzo beans (since most of the beans we think of are new world, but garbanzos are old world). I took the beans, mashed them well into their liquid and dehydrated them, then ran them in the food processor and used 1/2 and 1/2 with regular flour in a yeast-raised bread. Haven’t tried them in a flat bread.”
So, more things to try! I’m thinking girdle bread for potluck… (girdle…griddle… coincidence?)
Snow Challenge pix
Music – This is a long playlist, not just one piece!
Renaissance Music in a Castle. Ancient Music in the Loire Valley. (another playlist)
Cookbook! – https://wp.me/P8ngGY-23b
Anja, Loren, Stella, Arthur Lorenson (Raven and Sioned). Herb Bunch (3)
Largesse Item Count – (includes gifts, prizes, auction items, etc.)
- ASXLVII = 24
- ASXLVIII = 88
- ASXLIX = 794
- ASL = 2138
- ASLI = 731
- ASLII = 304
- ASLIII – 96=14 spice bottles+tissue cover = 111 plus 25 pouches for block-printing, 8 bookmarkers, 24 bottles of gall ink, 22 unfinished pincushions, 1 sewing kit (except for bone needle), varnished stuff (124)
Total as a Household = 3795 handed off
In ministerio autem Somnium! Anja, graeca doctrina servus to House Capuchin
Page Created 2/25/19 (C)M. Bartlett
Last updated 3/12/19