Moar classes this week, but not as many. Anja and Loren were too busy getting their shop open again! There’s some cookery, some embroidery, some herbs and lots of other fun stuff in the post this week, including a new project that Isabeau is doing with bottle-cap pincushions.
Big project finally finished! Anja got the cuff and collarband set done and mailed.
All meetings are on hold for the moment, although
Project Day and the Monthly Potluck are being held in the Virtual Realm. We starting to talk about getting together, in person, but right now, it’s talk.
- Herb Bunch – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 11am-1pm
- Sewing Time – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 3-5pm
- Project Day – At Ancient Light, Sundays, Noon to 6pm
- Cheese and Wine happens irregularly, usually announced with little notice on our Facebook group.
- Next Virtual Potluck – 5/17
- Next Winter Feast tentative Date is 2/15/21, Theme ??
Here is the direct Portfolio link which has all the past Project Day reports and various projects, original here: https://housecapuchin.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and new one here: https://housecapuchin2.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and number three is here: https://housecapuchin3.wordpress.com/portfolio/
Misc – Known Worlde Entertainment Guide – https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xEZAwCca4IQham3TpxfWnonQscG668mmYgIMA18YZ-E/edit?fbclid=IwAR1cT7JcKOJ2dseHJuzO76QFdaGDx7-3jHHSsqCYELZUdVGwlWogXoTVIhE#gid=0
Dance Vids – An Tir Glow-up
Oseberg Sea Chest
Making COmmedia dell’ Arte Happen in the SCA
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion
Stories – The Rules of Raiding is #18. Click the 3 lines at the top right where it says “1/59” and scroll down.
Early Week – Classes on Monday were all messed up. I guess people are wearing thin, but they were all at the wrong times for time zones…. Anja got to grinding onion peels for dye late in the afternoon. Plant tending went on all week, cookery and embroidery, but not a lot else until Saturday/Sunday
We got the ingredients for the Vert de Sire Tuesday evening.
Sylvie la Chardonniere – SCA Virtual Classroom and Artisan Display – Virtual cooking challenge #7 – Vert desire from “Diuersa Cibaria” (BL MS Add. 46919 (He))(first quarter 1300s) found in “Curye on Inglysch”
Sewing – The cuff and collar band set got finished Saturday evening, finally!
Sundials, etc. – Sanding all week and we ended up with this.
Herb Bunch – Not as many pix this week.
Project Day – …was a little different, since the shop was open. Between dealing with customers and classes both Loren and Anja were checking on the “virtual” day. Not much. Isabeau and Peggy’s stuff.
White Dish from Syria – Almond milk, rice flour, chicken meat, crushed ginger, sugar, white wine. Boil in a clean pot and let stand. Serve in a clean bowl. Strew pomegranate seeds on top.
Green Dish from Syria (this is the one we’re doing) – Almond milk, rice flour, chicken meat, sugar, red wine, parsley. Boil in a clean pot and let stand. Serve in a clean bowl. The color shall be green.
Yellow Dish from Syria – Almond milk, rice flour, chicken meat, almonds fried with skin on and almonds fried and strewn about. Make it yellow with saffron.
…and no clue on #4, but it looks like it’s supposed to be blue….
Green Dish from Syria – Anja’s version
- Make almond milk from 1 cup almond flour, 2 cup of wine, 2 TBSP sugar. Let stand 1 hour to overnight.
- Make more almond milk from 1 cup almond flour and 1 cup water, 2 TBSP sugar. Set aside to use, if necessary, or to drink, if not.
- Strain. Cook your chicken in this, then strain (reserve the juices for soup.)
- Chop the chicken up and refrigerate.
- Take your parsley and puree it, adding a little of the 2nd almond milk if you need to , to make a fairly thin stuff.
- Warm gently (I zapped it in the microwave, 1 minute at a time for 4 minutes). Add a little rice flour, 1 tsp at a time, to make a runny sauce. Let stand to thicken.
- About 15 minutes before serving, put the warmed chicken in a wide, flat bowl (I warmed it for 3 minutes in the nuker) and pour the warm green sauce over it. Garnish with something contrasting. I used nasturtium blossoms.
…and a totally different take!
Jane’s Kitchen #10 – Fruyte Frittours and Poached Pears
Lagana and Chickpea Soup from ancient Rome – Horace’s dinner – https://historicalitaliancooking.home.blog/italiano/ricette/zuppa-di-lagana-e-ceci-dellantica-roma/?fbclid=IwAR0dlnzbuVTe3Dnp8Iok4YzLvU2saPUIv6LMccOgClu2WpkL69uwToWX8BI
Roman Breads Classes – Arrina Marina
- April 5 – Part 1 – Lagana, Herculean Bath Bread – https://facebook.com/events/s/baking-roman-bread-lagana/1513771038786511/?ti=cl
- April 12 – Part 2 – Artolaganus, Grape Must yeast (fresh and dried) – https://facebook.com/events/s/baking-roman-bread-artolaganus/2658935500883183/?ti=cl
- April 19 – Part 3 – Buccellatum, Posca drink – https://facebook.com/events/s/baking-roman-breads-buccellatu/166303994421467/?ti=cl
- May 17 – Part 4 – Libum, Globi, and Mustacei – https://facebook.com/events/s/baking-roman-breads-libum/213668343057958/?ti=cl
- May 31 – Part 5 – Panis Quadratus – https://facebook.com/events/s/baking-roman-breads-panis-quad/1110075026057505/?ti=cl
The sweet sound of medieval England.
- Time Team S20-E11 An Englishman’s Castle – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOBLRcq0qxA
- Lendbreen tunic – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15IxF53AZfE&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2hZDGqRinPCByuJqH337U9i7PD1-oFaYrV0KWFSMvNCSBosuJ_uA_hxi4
- What to expect when the royals are expected – https://drive.google.com/file/d/10Stm34Oyhd6ILz3XNtXF_gGJuhkaRoZs/view?fbclid=IwAR3-zcJSkNZYxkFVVd3Zas-jkrPFJwRn-nHkHo3kxU4S9XEn2BtOh-Lksdw
- Ancient Distillation and Experimental Archaeology about the Prehistoric Apparatuses of Tepe Gawra – https://exarc.net/issue-2020-2/ea/ancient-distillation-and-experimental-archaeology?fbclid=IwAR0bkRD0x_vNU64C5Rk7atc93MyknbLUVwtt–AXnkQtx4FEZGFoU6MOm1Y
- Perfectly preserved ancient Roman mosaic floor discovered in Italy – https://www.cnn.com/style/article/negrar-mosaic-floor-italy-discovery-scli-intl/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2xwKce551h_9iH4-sTyEPSzlx34HLFXk1NbPON6awXWU_gV9kayo8tob0
Dr. Kat – Hans Holbein’s Portrait Drawings
Make a bread oven
Tudor Monastery Farm, Season 1, Episode 2
So I’m in a washroom at a gas station today and I see a sign on the mirror saying sing happy birthday twice while washing hands. So i start singing softly to myself.
“So you’ve reached the age you are,
Your demise cannot be far,
Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday…”
Then I thought, I’m going to be here for a while…
Largesse Item Count – (includes gifts, prizes, auction items, etc.)
- ASXLVII = 24
- ASXLVIII = 88
- ASXLIX = 794
- ASL = 2138
- ASLI = 731
- ASLII = 304
- ASLIII – 146
- ASLIV – 210 plus 4 puppets, 3 hippocras mix, 4 powder fort, 9 cheese spice and 10 powder douce packets, 10 tiny bobs, 8 pincushions, 5 pins, 5 snip case w/snips, lucet cords, 25 pouches for block-printing, 1 medium pouch, 4 small pouches, 12 bookmarkers, 14 unfinished pincushions, 1 sewing kit (except for bone needle), varnished stuff (124)
Total as a Household = 4041 handed off
In ministerio autem Somnium! Anja, graeca doctrina servus to House Capuchin
Page Created 5/24/20 & published 6/2/20 (C)M. Bartlett
Last updated 6/2/20