Very little happened with your scribe being down sick all week, there are lots of links, but little of ours to show. We did manage to find all the links for the 3rd season of the Fires of Guedelon and there are lots of class and cookery vids. The link to the Bomticc Tapestry is with a couple photos of specific years and there are more links!
We’re hoping for better this week, plus Anja is starting a page of largesse pix to showcase a lot of what we’ve done over the years.
All meetings are on hold for the moment, although Project Day and the Monthly Potluck are being held in the Virtual Realm. We’re also doing mini-potlucks, just Anja & Loren and one other “pod” at a time. Let us know if you’re interested!
Herb Bunch – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 11am-1pm
- Sewing Time – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 3-5pm
- Project Day – At Ancient Light, Sundays, Noon to 6pm
- Cheese and Wine happens irregularly, usually announced with little notice on our Facebook group.
- Next Virtual Potluck – 8/16, 9/20
- Next Winter Feast tentative Date is 2/15/21, Probably not being held….
Here is the direct Portfolio link which has all the past Project Day reports and various projects, original here: https://housecapuchin.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and new one here: https://housecapuchin2.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and number three is here: https://housecapuchin3.wordpress.com/portfolio/
The Pennsic Horn
Avacal Rose glow – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LpUYZIvXJL7HmKD-nRv9pX8Q2bFyRePe/view?fbclid=IwAR0SdKl7OQlMOBAOQ2DgCjzyVsJLwhh4QEcYkeS17_o9ZUpKkZn6qLWGgYM
- This Week! First Virtual Courtesan College – https://www.facebook.com/events/305854520537637/
- 8/15 – Wyewood We Wait? – https://www.facebook.com/events/300960464373910/
- 9/4-9/7 – An Tir Grand Ithra – https://www.facebook.com/events/283497572757576/
- Now…. and recorded – Pennsic University – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcPqyAoBz-iFNF3T-kQt0eQ/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1
How to start Nalbinding (Viking Knitting)
Pennsic – Wire-wrapped Rings
Pennsic – How to Build a Clay Oven
Pennsic – Tent Walls
Witchcraft in Medieval Byzantium
How to make a medieval style Bow Rack (Longbow DIY Archery)
ELIZABETH WOODVILLE PART 1: Making a 15th Century Queen Gown
ELIZABETH WOODVILLE PART 2: Making a 15th Century Queen Hat (Hennin)
MEDIEVAL GRWM: Becoming Elizabethan Woodville | 15th century Queen of England
MAKING A WEIRD MEDIEVAL DRESS WITH EYES | Allegorical Holy Grail Quest Dress Part 2: Sewing Vlog
Early Week – Not a lot happening with Anja still down sick.
Cookery – Other than eating up various bits and pieces that were previously cooked, the only thing we made this week was a beer/cheese soup.
It was based on a Townsend’s recipe, the first one in the video links below this. Pretty much we just replaced water with 2/3 beef broth and 1/3 beer. This one is *really* simple! It turned out a bit stickier than we expected, but really tasty. The beef we used didn’t have quite enough oomph for the soup, just adding a bare hint of flavor. I think next time I want to use something like Rogue’s Dead Guy Ale or Shakespeare Stout. (recipe below)
Leftovers Monday morning. – You can really taste the beer in this, now the next day, and re-heating in the microwave worked beautifully. I think it’s the breadcrumbs that make it not possible for the cheese to become just a hard lump. Tasty! …and yeah, I would recommend letting it sit overnight for things to blend.
- Clarea (honey-tea) – https://thequeensmeal.blogspot.com/2020/08/clarea-from-water-honey-tea-16th.html
- Beef Pie – https://thequeensmeal.blogspot.com/2020/08/beef-and-cheese-pie-16th-century.html
- More farts! Two fairly simple recipes here. https://siglindesarts.wordpress.com/2020/07/30/cooking-farts/
- Village-Style Chicken with Sour Cherries – https://siglindesarts.wordpress.com/2020/07/26/village-style-chicken-with-sour-cherries
Bread-thickened soups show up in late period (brewet from the French feast!)
A Medieval Breakfast
Recipe 28 – Pottage Of Turnips
29 – My Lord’s Feast
30 – Valencye
Sewing – The kiss-lock pouch trial run finally got finished late Wednesday night. The thread kept breaking, which was really frustrating. It turned out that the pattern was about 1/2 an inch shy of fitting perfectly, so it looks like another trial run coming. The embroidery can get started, though. The rest of the week was the edge stitching on that table runner and working on the doll.( Pix in Project Day)
Sundials, etc. – Loren got a little time in on some needles on Sunday. (Pix in Project Day)
Project Day – Was just Loren working on needles, and Anja sewing.
Beer/Cheese soup as of 8/2/20
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup strong beer
- 1/2 an onion
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2-3 cups of shredded cheddar
- Set the broth to heat.
- Chop the onion and add.
- When it boils, turn off the heat.
- Add the breadcrumbs, sprinkling over the top while stirring. If you dump it in, it will get lumpy and you’ll have to stir a lot to break up the lumps.
- Add the cheese, a small handful at a time, still stirring.
- Stir until the cheese finishes melting and serve.
Tudor and Renaissance Music vol 4
Varulven – The Werewolf. Swedish medieval ballad
- The Embroidered Caupar Game board – https://pieceworkmagazine.com/game-of-kings-the-embroidered-caupar-game-board/
- Take a tusk, drill holes, weave a rope – and change the course of history – https://amp.theguardian.com/science/2020/aug/01/mammoth-tusk-drill-holes-make-rope-change-history-stone-age
- Historical games – http://www.xn--sca-sterreich-lmb.at/projekte/historische-spiele/
- Portland’s First Medieval Style Mead Hall To Breathe New Life Into A Portland Classic Bar – https://obsidiancrow.news.blog/2020/07/03/portlands-first-medieval-style-mead-hall-to-breathe-new-life-into-a-portland-classic-bar/
Henry VIII’s Mega Castles
The Fires of Guedelon Season 3
Episode 1 –
Episode 2 –
Episode 3 –
Episode 4 –
Episode 5 –
Episode 6 –
Episode 7 –
Episode 8 –
Largesse Item Count – (includes gifts, prizes, auction items, etc.)
- ASXLVII = 24
- ASXLVIII = 88
- ASXLIX = 794
- ASL = 2138
- ASLI = 731
- ASLII = 304
- ASLIII – 146
- ASLIV – 222 plus 4 puppets, 3 hippocras mix, 4 powder fort, 8 cheese spice and 9 powder douce packets, 9 tiny bobs, 7 pincushions, 3 pins, 4 snip case w/snips, lucet cords, 25 pouches for block-printing, 1 medium pouch, 4 small pouches, 12 bookmarkers, 14 unfinished pincushions, 1 sewing kit (except for bone needle), varnished stuff (124), 2 emery strawberries.
Total as a Household = 4053 handed off
In ministerio autem Somnium! Anja, graeca doctrina servus to House Capuchin
Page Created 7/28/20 & published 8/4/20 (C)M. Bartlett
Last updated 8/4/20
Leave a Reply