With all the illness in the community we’re talking about doing a “virtual potluck” this coming week.
This was a different week. With Anja still sick in the early part of the week, she was mostly sewing. The
Saturday workshops didn’t happen, but that was mostly because of the Herb Bunch field trip on Sunday.
There are lots of pix and links below and a good set of funnies!
We’re talking about meetings being on time this week, but they could be cancelled at the last moment because of illness. Call ahead!
- Herb Bunch – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 11am-1pm
Sewing Time – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 3-5pm
- Project Day – At Ancient Light, Sundays, Noon to 6pm
- Cheese and Wine happens irregularly, usually announced with little notice on our Facebook group.
- Next Potluck – 3/15, 4/19, 5/17
- Next Winter Feast tentative Date is 2/15/21, Theme ??
Here is the direct Portfolio link which has all the past Project Day reports and various projects, original here: https://housecapuchin.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and new one here: https://housecapuchin2.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and number three is here: https://housecapuchin3.wordpress.com/portfolio/
Kingdom Arts & Sciences – Pride of the Summits!
Early Week– We got more of the equipment cleaned up and put away. Anja was still down, so she did mostly handwork.
Cookery – Mostly was eating leftovers. We used one of the leftover girdle cake kits for supper one night.
Sewing – While Anja was still down sick and lot of small projects happened, 90% of them mundane.
Herb Bunch – During the week it was all tending/watering and id-ing some that need to be re-potted. The workshop was cancelled on Saturday in exchange for the field trip on Sunday!
Herb Bunch Field Trip – Anja’s take
Three of us headed for Marion’s at about 10 am. The weather was lovely on the coast, sunny and cool, but not too chilly. The views of the ocean and forest were lovely and even after we turned the corner at Florence, the sunshine on moss and fern and tree kept us pointing at things and saying, “Oh, look!”.
We took a long side trip, thanks to Google, through the Fern Ridge Wildlife refuge, but got back on track, only having to round the block once to find a place to park.
Marian was baking and her house smelled wonderful, as usual. (quince cookies) As soon as her cookies were done, we headed out to the garden. She gave us a tour and told the story of how the bamboo grove came to be.
After we had done a round once, she invited us to harvest and dig what we wanted. I ended up with an armful of bay, a pocketful of bay nuts, a stick of *large* bamboo and a chamomile plant. I’m pretty sure that Linda and Susanne each had a bay seedling, some chamomile and other things.
After that we done we went in and had some tea and then headed out for lunch. We went to the New Day Bakery which has some amazing food (and went around the block to find parking). They do breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ambrose had a rice and bean dish. Marian had coffee and a mondo bear claw. Linda had soup and coffee. Susanne had coffee and a patty melt. I had a turkey and carrot relish sandwich and hibiscus lemonade. Mine we delicious and everyone else said the same of theirs. I thought about getting some bread to take home, but decided not. …and looked up carrot relish when I got home, since I enjoyed it so much!
After that we went to Mountain Rose Herbs which was just a few blocks away. (…and went around the block to find it… 🙂 )I got some linden for the shop and cocoa nibs for me. Linda found a rose geranium hydrosol. I needed to sit, so went out to an outside bench. Linda and Susanne took off across the parking to Down to Earth and came back with plants that we’re going to trade around. (calendula, motherwort, feverfew) Marian came out and we sat and talked about what I do with herbs and what she does until she needed to head for the bus and we headed home.
I fell asleep as we were heading onto 126 and woke just as we were rolling in to Florence. We gassed up and rolled on back to Waldport, still chatting about the day. We offloaded my stuff and they headed home. Fun day!
Project Day – Nothing for pictures. Mostly sanding happened. There’s a bowl in process….
- ARCHAEOLOGY DIG IN SPAIN YIELDS PREHISTORIC ‘CRYSTAL WEAPONS’ –
- Black Death, extinct? – https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/the-lost-plague-london-graveyards-suggest-that-black-death-strain-may-be-extinct
- How Black Pepper Won Europe From a Better Pepper – https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-black-pepper-won-europe-from-a-better-pepper
- Food Fakery – https://tudorcook.co.uk/blog/food-fakery/
- ‘Gods in Color’ returns antiquities to their original, colorful grandeur – https://www.cnn.com/style/article/gods-in-color-ancient-world-polychromy/index.html
- Doing Laundry in the Middle Ages – https://www.medievalists.net/2020/02/doing-laundry-in-the-middle-ages/
- The St. Francis Missal, legendary manuscript and relic, now on display at the Walters Art Museum – https://www.medievalists.net/2020/02/the-st-francis-missal-legendary-manuscript-and-relic-now-on-display-at-the-walters-art-museum/
- The Coronavirus is not the Black Death – https://www.medievalists.net/2020/03/coronavirus-black-death/
- Murder by Poison: A Crime from 15th century Valencia – https://www.medievalists.net/2020/03/murder-by-poison/
- Medieval Geopolitics: Gascony and the Causes of the Hundred Years’ War – https://www.medievalists.net/2020/02/gascony-causes-of-the-hundred-years-war/
- Four Warriors Buried in 11th-century Poland came from Scandinavia, researchers find – https://www.medievalists.net/2020/02/four-warriors-buried-in-11th-century-poland-came-from-scandinavia-researchers-find/
- Medieval Manuscripts: Codex Egberti – https://www.medievalists.net/2020/02/medieval-manuscripts-codex-egberti/
Loren, Anja, Herb Bunch (3)
Largesse Item Count – (includes gifts, prizes, auction items, etc.)
- ASXLVII = 24
- ASXLVIII = 88
- ASXLIX = 794
- ASL = 2138
- ASLI = 731
- ASLII = 304
- ASLIII – 146
- ASLIV – 207 plus 2 puppets, 3 hippocras mix, 4 powder fort packets, several cheese spice and powder douce packets, 8 tiny bobs, 9 pincushions, 2 snip case w/snips, one without, lucet cords, 25 pouches for block-printing, 1 medium pouch, 4 small pouches, 12 bookmarkers, 14 unfinished pincushions, 1 sewing kit (except for bone needle), varnished stuff (124)
Total as a Household = 4038 handed off
In ministerio autem Somnium! Anja, graeca doctrina servus to House Capuchin
Page Created 3/2/20 & published 3/9/20 (C)M. Bartlett
Last updated 3/9/20