Just keeping on keeping on… more cookery, more embroidery, more tinkle loom, fun pix and an interesting take on knighthood. Meetings this week at the normal time/place, although we’re talking about trying mozzarella again, so watch the House facebook group….
- Herb Bunch – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 11am-1pm
- Sewing Time – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 3-5pm
- Project Day – At Ancient Light, Sundays, Noon to 6pm
- Next Potluck – 5/20
Here is the direct Portfolio link which has all the past Project Day reports and various projects, original here: https://housecapuchin.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and new one here: https://housecapuchin2.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and number three is here: https://housecapuchin3.wordpress.com/portfolio/
Early Week – Tvarog got made early in the week and then prepped with mustard and caraway on Saturday. The tinkle loom got worked on and some blackwork.
Cookery – The tvarog. We also made mushroom catsup and lost all the pix!
<<<<<<<<<< Sewing – Anja worked on this a little each day. This pic was taken at the beginning of Saturday, so the cumulative stitching of the week that far.
Sewing Time – Saturday – …and finished it Saturday afternoon. >>>>>>>>
Herb Bunch – Good weather midweek meant that much weeding and tending went on, even a bit of harvest! No workshop on Saturday because of conflicts. But *Sunday*….
Project Day – Project Day at the shop was just Tempus and the tinkle loom, although I put in a few minutes a embroidery and pictures. Most of Anja’s day was with the Herb Bunch folks on a trip to the Thyme Garden for an Earth Day celebration.
Anja – “Leslie picked me up at about 11:15. She and Tempus loaded my walker while I was greeted by Bella (Leslie’s lovely little dog) and then we headed over to pick up Rayna, then out 34.
It was a beautiful day for a drive out 34. Clear blue sky, trees leafing out, new herbs coming up in the verge, fruit trees in bloom, even Japanese Cherry trees…. spring is *really* sprung! A lot of folks were out doing yardwork and some burning slash piles in various spots.
We pulled into Thyme Garden and found a parking spot. Rayna and I did our shopping fairly quickly and then I found an out-of-the-sun spot to rest for a bit. I picked up a number of herbs, mostly replacements for things that didn’t make it through the move last year and this past winter. Two hop vines and a tomato were the big ones and I’ve never had a Sweet Cicely plant or landcress. I picked up an extra sorrel, since the ones I have clustered toward one side of the bucket, and a different variety of oregano, a couple of tarragon, since those never make it through and some others
Rayna toured the garden for awhile and then the plants got put into the car while I had Bella. She’s such a friendly fur-baby! We looked over the booths that were set up for the day. There was a beautiful display of lavendar products that had some amazing lavendar wands, way better than I can make, lavendar by the foot, a lavendar spa blanket and some other things. The face-painting and glitter tattoo booth was swarmed with kids and a few adults and there some funny ones walking around. They had potato nettle soup for sale and few other things, but I ended up buying some really nice granola bars that weren’t at all hard.
As we headed home we passed a beautiful stand of forget-me-nots along the road and an amazing one of fleabane in Blackberry Park. There were several stands of either Cow Parsnip or Seacoast Anglica, too. We also spent awhile discussing gleaning of fruits and/ or herbs from near highways. I won’t gather herbs right on the highway, for instance, but I don’t mind fruit, since you can wash it. ”
Music – A virelai
Winged Hussars – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna
Saboton’s version of the events
The last of the Fires of Guedelon series
20 Rules for a Knight
- Solitude – Create time alone with yourself. When seeking the wisdom and clarity of your own mind, silence is a helpful tool. The voice of our spirit is gentle and cannot be heard when it has to compete with others. Just as it is impossible to see your reflection in troubled water, so too is it with the soul. In silence, we can sense eternity sleeping inside us.
- Humility – Never announce that you are a knight, simply behave as one. You are better than no one, and no one is better than you.
- Gratitude – The only intelligent response to the ongoing gift of life is gratitude. For all that has been, a knight says, “Thank you.” For all that is to come, a knight says, “Yes!”
- Pride – Never pretend you are not a knight or attempt to diminish yourself because you deem it will make others more comfortable. We show others the most respect by offering the best of ourselves.
- Cooperation – Each one of us is walking our own road. We are born at specific times, in specific places, and our challenges are unique. As knights, understanding and respecting our distinctiveness is vital to our ability to harness our collective strength. The use of force may be necessary to protect in an emergency, but only justice, fairness, and cooperation can truly succeed in leading men. We must live and work together as brothers or perish together as fools.
- Friendship – The quality of your life will, to a large extent, be decided by with whom you elect to spend your time.
- Forgiveness – Those who cannot easily forgive will not collect many friends. Look for the best in others.
- Honesty – A dishonest tongue and a dishonest mind waste time, and therefore waste our lives. We are here to grow and the truth is the water, the light, and the soil from which we rise. The armor of falsehood is subtly wrought out of the darkness and hides us not only from others but from our own soul.
- Courage – Anything that gives light must endure burning.
- Grace – Grace is the ability to accept change. Be open and supple; the brittle break.
- Patience – There is no such thing as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. A hurried mind is an addled mind; it cannot see clearly or hear precisely; it sees what it wants to see, or hears what it is afraid to hear, and misses much. A knight makes time his ally. There is a moment for action, and with a clear mind that moment is obvious.
- Justice – There is only one thing for which a knight has no patience: injustice. Every true knight fights for human dignity at all times.
- Generosity – You were born owning nothing and with nothing you will pass out of this life. Be frugal and you can be generous.
- Discipline – In the field of battle, as in all things, you will perform as you practice. With practice, you build the road to accomplish your goals. Excellence lives in attention to detail. Give your all, all the time. Don’t save anything for the walk home. The better a knight prepares, the less willing he will be to surrender.
- Dedication – Ordinary effort, ordinary result. Take steps each day to better follow these rules. Luck is the residue of design. Be steadfast. The anvil outlasts the hammer.
- Speech – Do not speak ill of others. A knight does not spread news that he does not know to be certain, or condemn things that he does not understand.
- Faith – Sometimes to understand more, you need to know less.
- Equality – Every knight holds human equality as an unwavering truth. A knight is never present when men or women are being degraded or compromised in any way, because if a knight were present, those committing the hurtful acts or words would be made to stop.
- Love – Love is the end goal. It is the music of our lives. There is no obstacle that enough love cannot move.
- Death – Life is a long series of farewells; only the circumstances should surprise us. A knight concerns himself with gratitude for the life he has been given. He does not fear death, for the work one knight begins, others may finish.
Anja, Loren, Amy, Isabeau (V),
Largesse Item Count – (includes gifts, prizes, auction items, etc.)
- ASXLVII = 24
- ASXLVIII = 88
- ASXLIX = 794
- ASL = 2138
- ASLI = 731
- ASLII = 298+4=302 plus 25 pouches for block-printing, 13 (plus 27 unfinished) pincushion, 2 sewing kits (except for bone needles), varnished stuff (124) 9 snap pouch, one double drawstring pouch, 4 brocade pouch
Total as a Household = 3662 handed off
In ministerio autem Somnium! Anja, graeca doctrina servus to House Capuchin
Page Created 4/15/18 & published 4/23/18 (C)M. Bartlett
Last updated 4/23/18