Your scribe felt seriously not well all the tail end of the week. That’s why this is late and content-light. Not an excuse, just why. I’ll do better next week!
Project Day is now open for in-person meet-ups as well as in the Virtual Realm! Potluck this month will be Virtual and Real-World! Herbs Workshop and Sewing Workshop are in person. Masks required All other meetings are on hold for the moment.
- Herb Bunch – At Ancient Light, Thursdays, 7pm-9pmSewing Time – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 3-5pm
- Project Day – At Ancient Light, Sundays, 1 to 5pm
- Cheese and Wine happens irregularly, usually announced with little notice on our Facebook group.
- Next Virtual Potluck – 10/17, 11/21, 12/19, 1/16
- Winter Feast LVI, Norse Theme. Page here – https://housecapuchin.com/winter-feast/winter-feast-norse-feast-as-lvi-february-2022/ More pages coming!
Here is the direct Portfolio link which has all the past Project Day reports and various projects, original here: https://housecapuchin.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and new one here: https://housecapuchin2.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and number three is here: https://housecapuchin3.wordpress.com/portfolio/
Misc – Kingdom of An Tir – SCA
Greetings An Tir,
Today the Society released the policy regarding requiring proof of vaccination or testing within a 72 hour period for attendance to any activity sponsored by the SCA. We WILL be applying this policy in An Tir. This implementation will occur in phases, and you can expect updates regarding this requirement. As some of you know, the Principality of Tir Righ already has a requirement for proof of vaccination for attendance to any indoor event, and that has been implemented for Fall Crown. King County, Washington has also followed suit and it will be in place for 12th night. Please read and become familiar with this policy. This will be in place for every SCA activity including, but not limited to, Fighter Practices, Indoor Events, Arts and Sciences night, and Business meetings. As always, please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further comments or questions. Attia Prima, OPKingdom Seneschal, An Tir
Edited to Add the Copy of the Policy: Proof of fully vaccinated status or negative COVID test.
In addition to the existing policy allowing Kingdoms to establish a mask policy, Kingdom Seneschals in consultation with the Crown shall have the discretion to implement the following policy requiring proof of COVID vaccination or a negative COVID test taken within 72 hours of an event start time from all event attendees:
1. Events are any activities defined in Corpora II.A, Society Events Defined.
2. Proof of being fully vaccinated must be in form of a government issued card (original or photograph) or an electronic record.
3. Proof of negative covid test must be issued from a licensed medical provider and presented in such paper form or electronic form that the event staff can verify its authenticity. Letterhead from a medical provider or an email address clearly identifying the medical provider as the sender of an electronic record shall constitute authentic proof.
4. All persons over the age of 18 must present government issued photo identification along with the proof of being fully vaccinated or a negative COVID test. Parents and guardians of minors must present their own identification along with proof of being fully vaccinated or a negative COVID test for all minors attending an event in their care.
5. Proof of vaccine or a negative test shall not be required for children under 12. Children that are aged 3 through 11 shall wear a mask.
6. In addition to the normal sanctions process, anyone challenging event staff regarding the enforcement of this COVID policy shall be denied entry to or be immediately removed from the event.
7. The Kingdom must have one person at a time checking the proof of being fully vaccinated or a negative COVID test at an event. The event organizer, or their designee, shall maintain a list of names and times of the person(s) conducting the check at the entrance. Once the entrance is closed at the event, said person(s) will sign a statement at the bottom of the list of names and times, which reads: “I have monitored the event entrance at the times noted above, and I have verified that each person entering the event during that time to have shown me proper identification, along with either proof of being fully vaccinated or a negative COVID test taken within 72 hours of the start of the event.” The event organizer, or their designee, shall forward the signed statement to the Kingdom Seneschal, or their designee, who shall maintain such records in accordance with the standards for retention of waivers.
8. Kingdom Seneschals shall notify the Society Seneschal where local, state, provincial, or national law supersedes this policy.
9. This policy shall not apply to Lochac and Drachenwald.
Other Educational Events
A Master List for finding classes, webinars and other things – https://moas.eastkingdom.org/list-of-online-webinars/?fbclid=IwAR20OE8b6vvYKvmwrqwpule27szarZ7EPV-8R72F1eV2CxcdmOXQhZf9ayk
10/1-10/3 2021 – Daigaku-Ryo: Pan-Asia University = Constantinople to Heiankyō 2021 – October 1, 2021 — October 3, 2021 – http://daigaku-ryou.org/
Other Good Stuff
KWAS – The Known World Arts and Sciences Display is now live! Go to https://sites.google.com/view/kwasdisplay/home and click on “Display Hall” in the upper right corner to see the contributions.
Knowne Worlde Entertainment Guide – KWEG – Entertainment List – https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xEZAwCca4IQham3TpxfWnonQscG668mmYgIMA18YZ-E/edit
SCA Iberia put out a whole bunch of videos from their most recent event! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2RmLGx_KiNzoFiM6GAu5Hg/videos
Cookery – Most of this week’s stuff is below in project day and recipes.
There is a page of online period cookbooks! – https://www.angelfire.com/md3/openhearthcooking/aaCookbooks.html?fbclid=IwAR0WbgZVc59MyJJd5xRHDC3OsBB3UsNZhX5-tJhAj598mXM6mUKZ8PandaY
Folger’s Shakespeare Library – Before Farm to Table – This is a series of articles, recipes and papers – https://beforefarmtotable.folger.edu/investigations/
A Tasting History about one of the recipes from An Early Meal! – Viking Blood Bread – Tasting History with Max Miller
Viking Blod Mead available at Curiada: https://www.curiada.com/collections/max-miller?utm_source=Partnership&utm_medium=Max&utm_campaign=Max-Episode-Viking-Blood-Bread
LINKS TO SOURCES**
An Early Meal by Daniel Serra and Hanna Tunberg: https://amzn.to/3DJI19d
The Prose Edda by Snorri Sturluson: https://amzn.to/2YsbyEc
Heimskringla by Snorri Sturluson: https://amzn.to/3BAwtmG
A Mini Royal Feast – Monk’s Modern Medieval Cuisine – What’s on the menu at the wedding of Henry IV and Joanna of Navarre in 1403? – In this video Dr Monk cooks Vyaund Ryal (Dish Royale) which ties all the dishes together.
Christmas Cuskynoles – Monk’s Modern Medieval Cuisine – These delicious medieval Christmas pastries date back to the thirteenth century. Fruity and spicy, they’re not unlike modern mince pies. Follow along with Dr Christopher Monk, medieval cultural historian, as he shows you how he makes them.
Sewing – Moar sampler
Herb Bunch – Thursday evening’s class was short, but on incense resins, where they come from and what kind of plants, also how the various resins are related in scent, texture, etc.
Project Day – Was pretty quiet. Anja went to Moot for the first hour.
Juliana – “Sending you some photos of a new “wig bubble” project. I got to looking at photos of The Canning Jewel (google it). It is an Elizabethan period pendant made of gold, pearls and jewels. I got to wondering if there was a cheap, easy way to copy such fancy stuff. So here are my pendants. (At least the ones that turned out) Maybe you can share at your work party today.” These are awesome!
Ailantha – Had to be out most of the day today. Sorry I missed this today. Not doing much project work this week as we sort, organize, and purge our craft/sewing stockpile.
Isabeau – Today I’m working on additional pattern weights of different sizes. I did 10 squares. So i thought id try less squares to see what i get. Why not, right? I’m trying 5 square. It’ll be a pyramid.
Helen Louise – Hi all, today I’m making a baby quilt from Paula Arndt beautiful fabrics on spoon flower LillyOak, for a professor at the U of O who just had a baby girl. Hubby is out if town, so now I can get really down to finish this off…
She also dropped a set of pix for a 17th century gown for us to comment on.
Arlys – PROJECT DAY PROJECT: the pattern for an Assisi medallion.
Anja worked on her sampler during moot and make pickling broth later, to go over the pickled onions. Some of these will probably show up at the feast since we’re within the 6 month block, already.
Music – ℜ𝔦𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔯𝔡 ℭ𝔬𝔢𝔲𝔯 𝔡𝔢 𝔏𝔦𝔬𝔫 – 𝔐𝔲𝔰𝔦𝔠𝔞 𝔐𝔢𝔡𝔦𝔢𝔳𝔞𝔩𝔢 – Ensemble: Alla Francesca
Album: Richard Cœur De Lion
Video: (read the info) http://www.facebook.com/musicamedievale
The ensemble “Alla Francesca” in this work performs music from the time of Richard the Lionheart, including the famous “Ja Nuns Hons Pris”, written by Riccardo himself during his imprisonment in Dürnstein Castle. In this video I have selected some photos of three very important castles in the life of Richard I of England: the first (which appears from 0:00 to 35:54) is the famous Château-Gaillard, the historic and majestic fortress built by Riccardo between 1196-1198, during the war against the king of France Philippe Auguste; the second castle (from minute 35:54 to 45:00) is that of Dürnstein, where Richard was imprisoned on his return from the third crusade. Finally, from minute 45:00 to 51:14, there is Châlus Chabrol, a fortress that Richard besieged in 1199 and where he died for an arrow shot from the walls while the king supervised the siege. Richard’s bowels are now buried right in the chapel of Châlus Chabrol, his heart is in Rouen while his body rests in the abbey of Fontevrault together with those of his parents, Henri II and Aliénor d’Aquitaine inside a splendid effigy from which his face can be clearly distinguished and that in this video I left in transparency under all the photographs as if he were a king who finally rests after a life of battles, songs, intrigues …
The ensemble “Alla Francesca” has chosen the stupendous abbey of Fontevrault to record this splendid musical work dedicated to Riccardo; I am thrilled to know that the echoes of these melodies, certainly familiar to the king, have resounded among the vaults of Fontevrault once again, 797 years after Riccardo’s death, right next to him.
PS: the miniature that appears at the end I found it instead from a manuscript (circa 13th century) and there is represented King Richard during his imprisonment in Dürnstein and next to him the moment of his death, pierced by an arrow, in Châlus Chabrol.
1 Lai Du Chèvrefeuille – Marie de France/Anonymous
2 L’Autrier M’En Aloi – Anonymous
3 Ja Nuns Hons Pris – Richard Cœur-De-Lion
4 Chanterai Por Mon Coraige – Guiot De Dijon
5 Li Nouviautz Tanz – Chastelain De Couci
6 Vocis Tripudio – Anonymous
7 A Vous, Amours – Chastelain De Couci
8 Canticum Exercuit / Canticum Letitie – Anonymous
9 Bien Me Deüsse Targier – Conon De Béthune
10 Quant Voi La Flour Boutener – Gace Brulé
11 Redit Etas Aurea – Anonymous
12 Christus Patris Gratie / Vineam Meam Plantavi / Offerat Ecclesia – Anonymous
13 Can Vei La Lauzeta – Bernart de Ventadorn
14 Fortz Chausa Est – Gaucelm Faidit
Alla Francesca: Brigitte Lesne, Emmanuel Bonnardot, Pierre Hamon, Raphaël Boulay
Mass Graves of 13th-Century Crusaders Reveal Brutality of Medieval Warfare – https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/mass-graves-of-13th-century-crusaders-reveal-brutality-of-medieval-warfare-180978712/
Tartessos – https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/tartessos-casas-del-turunuelo?fbclid=IwAR0y1c_O7ctalbZmOmrsA0ZHuUG0JJExd9O_fv0mEhztzRPuOZQn7_EvNIA
Archaeologists Found 600-Year-Old Artifacts Beneath the Floors of An English Hall – https://explore.top10answers.com/archaeologists-found-600-year-old-artifacts-beneath-the-floors-of-an-english-hall
To Save Norway’s Stave Churches, Conservators Had to Relearn a Lost Art – https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/stave-church-tar-conservation
17th-Century Warship Pulled From Icy Baltic Sea Is Almost Perfectly Preserved – https://mymodernmet.com/sunken-swedish-warship-vasa/
Ancient “singing linden” voted Tree of the Year – https://english.radio.cz/ancient-singing-linden-voted-tree-year-8729300
New and Updated Pages
A new landing page for garb – https://housecapuchin.com/clothing-inspirations/
More links added
More links added
Leave a Reply